A TIA-administered event in support of the philanthropic work of the Toy Industry Foundation (TIF), the “Oscars” of the toy industry, took place at the Grand Hyatt Hotel, kicking off the 111th American International Toy Fair.
“This year’s top TOTY winners are outstanding examples of the magical and creative playthings that originate from innovative toy companies of all sizes,” said Carter Keithley, TIA president. “We congratulate Choon’s Design, Goldieblox, and the winners across all 12 categories – from e-Connected to Outdoor – for their wonderful achievements.”
Interspersed with the awards presentation was a special tribute to the Toy Industry Foundation, which gifted more than 3m toys and games to children in need worldwide in 2013 alone. The event also welcomed the induction of five individuals into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame: Jill Barad, former chairman and CEO at Mattel, Horst Brandstätter, president and sole owner of Playmobil/geobra Brandstätter, Jack Friedman, former chairman, CEO and co-founder of JAKKS Pacific, and Arthur “Spur” Melin and Richard Knerr, co-founders of Wham-O Toy. These new inductees join a distinguished roster of dozens of luminaries who have been inducted into the Hall since its establishment in 1985.
TOTY Award winners were selected with the input of consumers (on ToyAwards.org), retailers (mass and specialty), media and members of the toy industry. The five ballots were weighted and used to determine the category winners, with the exception of the “People’s Choice” award, which was selected exclusively by consumers.
The winners were as follows:
- Activity Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom (Choon’s Design)
- Boy Toy of the Year – Despicable Me 2 Special Feature Minion Dave Talking Action Figure (Thinkway Toys)
- e-Connected Toy of the Year – LeapPad Ultra (LeapFrog Enterprises)
- Educational Toy of the Year – GoldieBlox and the Spinning Machine (GoldieBlox)
- Game of the Year – Boom Boom Balloon (Spin Master)
- Girl Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom (Choon’s Design)
- Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year – Big Hugs Elmo (Playskool)
- Innovative Toy of the Year – Zoomer (Spin Master)
- Outdoor Toy of the Year – Razor Crazy Cart (Razor USA)
- Pre-school Toy of the Year – Doc McStuffins Get Better Check-Up Center (Just Play)
- Property of the Year – Minecraft (Mojang AB)
- Specialty Toy of the Year – Rainbow Loom (Choon’s Design)
Descriptions of all TOTY finalists can be found online at ToyAwards.org.
If you would like to receive our daily newsflash email, please enter your email address in the “sign-up” box at the top of the page; you can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook and request a print subscription here.