The BTHA has announced several changes to this year’s application process.
Retailers will be able to compete nationally in like-for-like categories and can apply in more than one category, if applicable. Self-nominations are permitted, together with nominations coming from a panel of nationwide industry experts.
For the first time, retailers will have the opportunity to expand their entry this year by including up to three short testimonials from their suppliers. This won’t guarantee a win, but is intended to strengthen an entry for the benefit of the retailer and the judges when assessing the entry.
To enter, retailers are invited to submit their entry online via the online entry form.
The category definitions are as follows:
A. Independent Toy Retailer of the Year
- An independent toy retailer with no more than two stores OR
- An independent retailer that runs no more than two toy departments with a larger store
B. Specialist Multiple Toy Retailer of the Year
- Specialist multiple retailer (up to five stores)
- Specialist multiple retailer (up to 30 stores)
- Specialist multiple retailer (over 30 stores)
This category is for multiple toy retailers which specialise in toy retail. Specialist multiple retailers should select the appropriate sub category dependent on the size of their business.
C. General Multiple Toy Retailer of the Year
- For non-specialist toy retailers with toy departments or aisles. This category includes entries from supermarkets, grocers and department stores
D. Department Store Toy Retailer of the Year
- For department stores with toy departments and aisle
E. Online Toy Retailer of the Year
- Companies can enter this category if their main business is through online sales or if there are online toy sales which complement main store retailing. This category will be judged on the toy offering of the website alone
The Best Overall Toy Retailer of the Year 2016 for UK and Ireland will be selected as the overall winner from the winners of the other categories.
Judges also have the ability to make a Special Recognition Award at their discretion after considering all entries. This is not a category for which retailers can actively submit an entry.
Shortlisted retailers will be announced in December, with the winners being unveiled alongside the Toy of the Year awards. The event will take place at Olympia London on Tuesday 24th January 2017 – the first night of Toy Fair.
Retailers should visit www.btha.co.uk/awards/toy-industry-awards to take part.