Retro classics, perennial best-sellers and tech toys all make this year's list.
As the countdown to Christmas begins, Amazon.co.uk has revealed its top toys for 2020. Handpicked by a team of Amazon toy experts, this year’s top gifts take inspiration from cult TV, movie and video game characters, alongside popular characters, the unboxing trend and technology.
This year, with families staying at home and spending more time together, retro classics such as Back to the Future and Super Mario are making a comeback on the ‘Top Toys’ list, alongside classics such as Barbie, Star Wars and Lego.
Star Wars continues to be amongst the top searched keywords for toys on Amazon.co.uk and the Disney series The Mandalorian has proved popular. Star Wars The Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Transport Starship, available exclusively on Amazon.co.uk, has been picked to be a potential best-seller, whilst The Child Animatronic Edition has also been selected.
VTech's KidiZoom, a kid-friendly camera which includes video editing, will encourage imagination and creativity. The HD camera comes with 20 virtual backgrounds, and includes six games.
“We know Christmas is going to be a little different this year, and at Amazon, we are doing everything we can to bring the magic of the festive season to our customers”, said Naman Agarwal, head of vendor management for Toys at Amazon.co.uk. “The joy of being with friends and family, in person or virtually, will be the greatest gift of all, and we’re predicting that the best-selling toys will be those that can bring people together. No matter the celebration, we are making a big effort to deliver smiles and make Christmas extra special.”
Amazon's top 12 toys list, in no particular order, is as follows:
- Barbie Fresh 'n' Fun Food Truck (Mattel) - Barbie fans can run their own food truck and rustle up delicious dishes for customers including salads, burgers, tacos, fries and more.
- L.O.L. Surprise! OMG Remix Plane (MGA Entertainment) - This 4-in-1 play set, comprising a plane, car, recording studio and mixing booth, transforms for the ultimate remix experience.
- L.O.L Surprise! OMG Remix Honeylicious Fashion Doll (MGA Entertainment) - Kids can unbox 25 surprises with the L.O.L. Surprise! fashion doll, Honeylicious. The doll has styled hair and is articulated for posability.
- Squeakee the Interative Balloon Dog (Character Options) - This clever and characterful pup can perform a multitude of amusing tricks.
- Uno Showdown (Mattel Games) - Tapping into the booming games space this year, Uno Showdown offers unexpected excitement in the form of the new Showdown unit.
- KidiZoom Studio (VTech) - Kids can get creative with VTech's KidiZoom Studio, which includes an HD video recorder, a convertible mini tripod/handle and a wrist strap.
- Star Wars The Mandalorian Bounty Hunter Transport Starship (Lego) - An Amazon exclusive, this 1,023-piece starship construction kit includes 5 collectible Lego Star Wars characters, including The Mandalorian and the Child.
- The Child Animatronic Edition (Hasbro) - This toy features motorised movements, including a head that moves up and down, ears that move back and forth, eyes that open and close, and more.
- Back to the Future DeLorean (Playmobil) - Playmobil brings the duo Marty McFly and Doctor Emmet Brown (plus their dog, Einstein) firmly into the present day.
- Paw Patrol Dino Rescue Dino Patroller (Spin Master) - The Dino Patroller is the first ever motorised team vehicle for the brave pups.
- Present Pets (Spin Master) - Waiting inside each Fancy Pup themed box is a cute interactive puppy which will paw its way out of their own gift box.
- Super Mario Adventures Starter Course (Lego) - Kids can team up with their favourite character in the real world with this set. A free Lego Super Mario app is available for enhanced play.