NEWS reveals its biggest brands for Christmas

Published on: 8th October 2020

A nationwide survey of almost 2,500 parents has also revealed how UK families plan to shop and spend this festive season. 

The specialist online discount toy retailer has conducted a nationwide survey of 2,573 parents, revealing Lego, Disney and Marvel as the top 3 most in-demand toy brands this Christmas.

A breakdown of the top 10 brands can be seen below.  

  1. Lego - 13.7%
  2. Disney - 11.6%
  3. Marvel - 8.5%
  4. Barbie - 7.6%
  5. L.O.L Surprise - 7.1%
  6. Paw Patrol - 6.3%
  7. Playmobil - 5.7%
  8. Crayola - 5.5%
  9. Fisher-Price - 5.3%
  10. Peppa Pig - 5.2%

The retailer also canvassed parents on the specific toy or game they are most likely to purchase this Christmas:

  1. Nintendo Switch (Nintendo)
  2. Super Mario Lego sets and figures (Lego)
  3. Barbie DreamHouse (Mattel)
  4. Playstation 5 (Sony)
  5. Nerf Blasters (Hasbro)
  6. Thomas & Friends Super Station (Mattel)
  7. Lego Christmas Village (Lego)
  8. Toy Story figures (Various)
  9. Jurassic World Colossal T-Rex (Mattel)
  10. Leapfrog Ice Cream Cart (VTech)

The survey also revealed that 89% of parents are planning to use delayed or alternative payment methods to facilitate buying this year's Christmas gifts, while the majority (90%) of parents plan to buy Christmas toys online this year. Just 6% of those surveyed plan to buy in-store.

The average spend on toys last year was £111 per family, but BargainMax's survey indicates that the average expected spend this year is £102.53 per family, a slight decrease of £8.47 per family (7.6%). Only 11.34% will pay outright by cash or debit card, with the remaining 88.66% using some form of delayed or alternative payment method. The data suggests PayPal will be the most popular payment method (38%), followed by credit card (31%). 1.6% admitted they will rely heavily on split payment providers (such as Klarna) this year.

Alex Woolfstein

"We are fortunate to be in a position where we trade online, as coronavirus has had a massive impact on stores across the country," said Alex Woolfstein, senior buyer at BargainMax. "A large percentage of consumers look to plan to shop and spend online this year for their Christmas presents, and we’ll be planning ahead as much as possible, working with couriers in what is expected to be our busiest year to date. We have seen amazing growth on our website in the last quarter, with sales up 118% and profit up 148% on last year, as well as a significant increase in use of Klarna for customers wanting to spread their payments. During the last quarter, Klarna payments accounted for 18% of our checkouts."

He add: "We are delighted that the toy Industry, despite difficult circumstances, looks to be in a really strong place; we are still finding new gaps and being approached by new suppliers daily. It's never too late in the year for us to welcome more new suppliers.”


Exclusive: Nuremberg Toy Fair all set for 2024

Funrise appoints James Xuereb as European account manager for e-Commerce

Board Game Club’s festive special draws biggest crowd of the year

Exclusive: Rubies all dressed up

Spin Master Entertainment announces new global distribution deals for animations

Breaking News: Mattel and Amazon MGM Studios announce Wednesday licensing partnership

Breaking News: Disney Lorcana unveils Into the Inklands

Steve Pasierb to step down from The Toy Association

L.O.L. Surprise! celebrates 50th anniversary of Hello Kitty with new collection

Bandai Namco launches additional stores in the UK