Prizes for this year’s two License This! winners include a free exhibition stand at BLE 2021 and one year’s membership to Licensing International.
Two new brands have been crowned this year’s winners of the global License This! competition, sponsored by Wynne-Jones. The final took place during Festival of Licensing and saw Lancashire-based Tracey Colliston win the Brand & Design category. Her delightfully sentimental Owls’ Nest illustrations of British woodland creatures can be found on gifts and greetings cards. George Mackay, from Caithness in Scotland, took home the Character & Animation award for his ‘eejits’: his menagerie of misfortunate misfits born in the Highlands of Scotland.
Tracey Colliston’s Owl’s Nest greetings cards and handmade gifts are currently stocked in over 80 independent retailers across the UK and she aims to see her illustrations licensed across many more categories. George Mackay’s eejits also currently feature on greetings cards and George has equally big ambitions for reaching a much bigger audience.
This year’s two License This! winners will receive a free exhibition stand at Brand Licensing Europe 2021, one year’s membership of industry trade association Licensing International, PR support, and invaluable advice from the panel of industry experts. In addition, all finalists will receive legal consultation from competition sponsor Wynne-Jones.
This year’s judges were as follows:
- Kelvyn Gardner, managing director, Asgard Media (chair of the judging panel)
- Sarah Ward, CEO, The Giftware Association
- Kirsty Barr, Grapevine PR
- Sonia Amrar, Trademark Attorney, Wynne-Jones
Character & Animation award
- Dan Grant, licensing director, Danilo Promotions
- Clare Piggott, managing director, Larkshead Media
- Ben Woodman, commercial manager, GB Eye
- Ian Downes, director, Start Licensing
- Nico Franks, editor, C21 Kids
Brand & Design award
- Stuart Cox, owner, I Like Birds
- Vicki Thomas, owner, Vicki Thomas Associates
- Sarah Lawrence, director, This is Iris
- Jehane Boden Spiers, founder, JEHANE Ltd
- Will Stewart, founder and managing director, The Point.1888
Brand & Design judge, Will Stewart, said: “Despite all the challenges of lockdown, the quality of the entries was outstanding once again. This competition provides a huge opportunity for anyone to pivot their career to focus on something they are passionate about: imagine making a living out of something you love.”
Last year’s winners – Rosie Brooks and Drew Bristow (Carrot & Toast) – are both exhibitors at BLE 2020 and can be found online here.
Watch the final presentations and judging for this global competition on demand during Festival of Licensing by clicking on the Live Stage tab.