NEWS

Hasbro pulls YouTube advertising following child exploitation claims

Published on: 26th February 2019

Google has gone into damage-control mode after a raft of major advertisers stopped spending money on the platform.

The move follows concerns that the video-sharing site can be used to forge networks of people engaged in exploitation of children.

Google executives held a call with representatives of major advertisers and ad agencies and sent them a memo to assure them that the company had deleted predatory accounts and was working to build new tools to weed out commenters who try to sexualise videos featuring children, according to people familiar with the situation.

The outreach came after companies such as Disney and Hasbro, as well as several smaller brands, paused their YouTube advertising over the controversy.

The uproar originated with video blogger Matt Watson, who posted a 20-minute clip detailing how comments on YouTube were being used to identify certain videos of young girls participating in activities such as posing in front of a mirror and doing gymnastics.

Comments under the videos suggested potential predators were bookmarking certain points and sharing them with others. Matt’s video demonstrated how, if users clicked on one of the clips, YouTube’s algorithms recommended similar ones. Within a matter of days, Matt’s video had been viewed more than 2m times.

YouTube is a growing and important part of Google’s vast internet advertising empire. Video ads are generally more lucrative than Google’s bread-and-butter text search ads. YouTube has seen major boycotts by advertisers in the past, such as when ads appeared next to violent terrorist content, but companies have generally come back to the platform after public concern abated.

“Any content — including comments — that endangers minors is abhorrent and we have clear policies prohibiting this on YouTube. We took immediate action by deleting accounts and channels, reporting illegal activity to authorities and disabling violative comments,” a spokeswoman for YouTube said in an email.

Google said it had disabled comments on “tens of millions” of videos that included minors and deleted around 400 accounts that had left concerning comments. Total ad spending on the videos mentioned was less than $8,000 within the last 60 days, and YouTube plans refunds, the spokeswoman said.

That number could be dwarfed, though, by even a weeklong boycott by major advertisers, some of whom spend large portions of their advertising budgets on the platform.

RECENT ARTICLES

The June issue of Toy World is out now

Monday 1st June – Latest toy industry reaction to coronavirus outbreak

Ty Flippables Dinosaur in space launch

Remake, remodel…it’s the Friday Blog!

Sword & Shield – Darkness Ablaze unveiled by The Pokémon Company

Smyths Toys and Magic Star partner on exclusive Oscar deal

August to see furlough scheme employers pay 20% of wages

The Lego Group unveils new addition to Lego Technic range

New licensed product and US streaming options announced for 44 Cats

Character Group publishes half year results