Hasbro is seeking a Category Licensing Manager, with a focus on Hardlines (eg: Toys, Games, Arts & Crafts, FMCG, Party/Stationery) to join its UK Consumer Products team within the EMEA region.
The Category Manager is responsible for the Business Development of Brand and Category Strategic plans to ensure the continued growth and expansion of the UK Consumer Products programme. The role includes category strategy, licensee management and category specific retail sales and marketing. With a responsibility for the delivery of Hasbro’s financial targets (sales, profitability and growth), this leader will possess a strong commercial mindset and exceptional analytical capabilities, in order to take on full category profit and loss responsibilities, including budgeting and quarterly forecasting.
The successful candidate will lead the negotiation of contracts and will possess outstanding stakeholder management skills, acting as an ambassador of relationships across the licensee base, and will be able to deliver on the execution of plans via competitive knowledge, positive relationships and best-in-class product execution. This role will require leadership and management of the Category segment across the vast portfolio of Hasbro brands including Peppa Pig, Nerf, Playdoh, My Little Pony, Monopoly and many more. Proactive collaboration and co-ordination with other segments of the business (Brand Marketing, Retail Development, Product Development, Legal, Finance) will be required for an integrated and cohesive approach.
- Daily management of licensees including regular business reviews, forecasting, range planning/development, retail listings etc.
- Assess and qualify initial opportunities, prospect leads, develop sales materials and presentations, and solicit and secure business proposals from prospective licensees
- Ensure all Hardlines deals (new deals, renewals, amendments, extensions) are negotiated and managed effectively and efficiently through to deal completion, liaising continually with Legal, Finance and licensees on contract drafting and finalising terms to ensure execution in a timely manner
- Develop and execute short, mid and long-term commercial growth strategies against prioritised franchise and vault brands analysing current licensees and exploring new areas of opportunity, ensuring in-line with Global Brand direction
- Maintain full P&L responsibility for partner contracts including budgeting, quarterly forecasting and tracking royalty income, providing supporting commentary
- Maximise revenue opportunities by exploring new business opportunities and licensed collaborations and undertake regular gap analysis by category, ensuring brands are fully maximised whilst staying true and adhering to brand strategy guidelines
- Monitor and provide analysis of licensee’s retail distribution, retail promotions and competitors ranges
- Monitor and analyse Market data on a regular basis sharing updates/reports to wider team where relevant
- Build solid relationships with category buyers, through regular dialogue/meetings with relevant buyers and retail licensing teams, ensuring brands are sold in at all levels and retailers needs are met
- Work closely with the Retail Development team to develop, present and implement sales driving retail marketing initiatives within category areas for all key retailers ensuring those retail initiatives are fully supported across all relevant platforms
- Work closely with the regional Product Development team and licensees on product line plans to ensure optimum creative and innovative product execution is achieved
- Collaborate on creative asset needs and ensure ranges are continually refreshed, commercially viable and retailer needs are considered
- Create a unique point of difference for Hasbro amongst a competitive global Consumer Products landscape.
- Undertake regular store visits to gain complete understanding of retail landscape and competitor presence/activity
Deal Negotiation & Financial Management:
- Lead various levels of contractual negotiations from initial deal negotiation through contract execution (including legal, creative and brand guidelines)
- Develop both conventional and unconventional business modelling scenarios to inform deal terms that serve both short-term and long-term growth objectives
- Build solution-based resolve within complex contract scenarios
- Constant communication with licensees to monitor, track and build the business
As the business lead, operate as the key liaison of information between the internal senior leadership team, Product Development, Retail Development, Finance, and Legal teams
- Regular meetings with Brand marketing team to ensure full knowledge of global brand plans and UK specific marketing plans/brand campaigns and ensure commercial messages are considered and incorporated where relevant
- Regular liaison with Regional Licensing teams on multi-territory deals, ensuring alignment where appropriate, sharing category information and opportunities
- Regular attendance at trade shows and social industry functions where applicable – e.g. Brand Licensing Europe, Spring Fair, Toy Fair
- Attendance and presentation participation in annual licensee/partner presentations
- Ensure that internal status reports, licensee lists, retail listings and other relevant licensing databases and reports are updated and distributed
- Regular UK travel
What you’ll bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree with an outstanding command of and demonstrable passion for the Consumer Products licensing business (entertainment licensing experience highly regarded)
- Exceptional understanding of brand positioning/management, strategic planning, retail segmentation, competitive landscape
- Solid experience and existing strong relationships within the Hardlines category
- Exceptional sales and contract negotiation skills and proven commercial acumen
- A proven track record of hitting targets and delivering growth
- A strong understanding of the UK Retail Landscape
- A dynamic, entrepreneurial and proactive approach with a solution led attitude
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team who is also self-motivated and is an independent thinker
- Commanding presentation capabilities with outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time management, prioritisation and planning capabilities.
- Ability to readily shift priorities and operate in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical/Excel/PC skills
- Strong organisational, communication, interpersonal and time management skills and be adept at forming strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An ability to multi-task in a busy environment
- A sociable personality
To apply for this role, click here.