Alakat Publishing Ltd – Hemel Hempstead HP2 7DZ
Alakat Publishing is a B2B trade publisher that currently produces the UK toy industry’s leading monthly trade magazine and news website – Toy World, and the business continues to develop with the recent acquisition of the Licensing.biz brand. As a result of our ongoing success and with new projects in the pipeline, we are looking to expand our editorial team, which works from our office in Hemel Hempstead, Herts. Please note our location as this is an office-based position and may not be undertaken on a freelance or remote basis. We’re looking for someone to start as soon as possible.
After the initial probationary period (3 months), working from home occasionally may be discussed, at the discretion of management. Regular attendance at the office on specified days will be required however, as much of the work is to fixed schedules and is time sensitive and collaborative. The editorial team works from 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- This is an exciting opportunity at an established publication and is a full time, hands-on editorial position, involving work in both print and digital environments for a respected, market-leading title and website serving the toy industry. A professional standard of writing and subbing is a must, as is the ability to carry out administrative tasks efficiently.
- We’re looking for a motivated and dynamic applicant, who is keen to get to know the toy trade/associated industries and work closely with the Editor and Assistant Editor to produce a monthly magazine and daily online newsfeed service. You may also be required to work on other projects as the needs of the business dictate.
- Journalistic experience is desirable, and knowledge of the trade press would be an advantage, as would experience of generating news-based online content. Support and guidance will be provided by the rest of the team, but hands-on experience will be a priority from the start, so some initiative as well as basic competence is expected.
- The role will suit a candidate who has sound training in print journalism (NCTJ accredited qualification preferred), or relevant concrete experience, a natural flair for writing, good communication skills and the ability to work to deadlines.
- We’re looking for a hardworking, confident individual who will take pride in their work and in the company. The role will involve subbing press releases, both creating content from supplied material and generating original content, uploading copy and images to the company’s online platform and distributing content across social media. A confident telephone manner and strong interpersonal skills are also vital, and knowledge of systems such as WordPress, Mailchimp and Photoshop would be an advantage.
This is a full-time, permanent role. Salary is DOE and will be determined after the interview stage but is expected to be in the region of £22-25k.
How to apply
Please send CV of no more than two pages and a cover note summarising briefly why you feel you would be a good fit for this vacancy to email@example.com. Your application should state clearly where you are currently based, and it will be assumed that you have checked that you are comfortable with the commute. We are happy to answer any questions you may have, prior to or during your application.