The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media.
Disney is looking for a product compliance specialist to cover a maternity leave on a fixed term contract based in its Disney EMEA head office in Hammersmith, London. The purpose of this role is to lead the chemical management programme with the Product Integrity department and support Product Integrity engineers to ensure compliance of all products placed on the market.
The objective of the Product Integrity team is to protect the Disney brand by ensuring our products meet relevant Disney standards and safety regulations globally. This role is to ensure the chemical compliance of Disney-branded products and have oversight of the Chemical Management program globally. Chemical regulations are increasing all the time and consumer awareness of the chemicals used in products is on the rise. This role is to enable the business to help ensure the chemical compliance of all Disney-branded products.
- Lead the Disney Bill of Substance project, by liaising with third party system provider and providing guidance to Disney vendors on requirements and expectations of their documentation. Knowledge of Bill of Substance documentation is a must. Will require regular updates to project stakeholders on the status of the project.
- Review new product developments and provide comments on any considerations from a Chemical point of view.
- Keep up to date with developments on chemical issues and regulations and be able to provide impact assessments and compliance strategies for Disney-branded products. A key part of this will be to effectively communicate complex chemical requirements to a non-technical audience, and explain why it is important to the Disney brand.
- Work closely with third party partner laboratories to develop testing strategies for new and updated chemical requirements that impact Disney-branded products, and then communicating to key internal stakeholders.
- Develop external communications to share with external vendors on any changes to the Chemical Management programme
- Collate and manage chemical data for various external reporting deadlines across EU and the US.
- Provide support and advice for PI engineers across the business when chemical product issues arise, including test failures, documentation and labelling requirements.
- Keep up to date with the Chemical Management budget and liaise with PI finance analyst.
- The position provides a unique opportunity to work within a global business, the ability to continue to learn within a very fast paced global regulatory landscape, and work with a diverse consumer products portfolio.
- Limited travel to attend regional meeting and conferences on an as needed basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science or related subject or equivalent experience
- Experience in a product safety or product development function or consumer products (toys, apparel, cosmetic electronics, jewellery or publishing)
- Working knowledge of global chemical regulations, including REACH, CLP, CHCC, US state requirements as well as product specific legislation that impacts Toys, Food, Contact Materials, Cosmetics etc.
- Experience of issue forecasting and interpreting chemical legislation and translating in to communication for non- chemical audience
- Must be able to handle large amounts of chemical data and managing external reporting requirements
- Experience working with a global product safety or government regulations team is beneficial
- Use of CMD system, or related chemical management system
To apply, click here.