John Lewis is the first retailer to unveil its predictions for this year’s festive best-sellers with nostalgia a key trend.
John Lewis has released its top tips for 2022, which it says have been decided upon after months of sourcing by the buying team and extensive trials by the young experts who make up the retailer’s Toy Testing Panel.
The buying team said kids are increasingly re-discovering 80s and 90s favourites, such as Play Doh and Hot Wheels. Alan Wright, toy buyer at John Lewis, commented: “It’s always such fun to see toys that brought so much joy decades ago come back around. They are toys that capture the imagination time and time again, and that usually means adults will have just as much fun playing with them as kids do.”
Alan added that, among the list of toys selected, he was pleased to see traditional play patterns enduring, with the likes of the I’m a Stylist Styling Head and Wooden Workbench appearing on the list. “We are seeing that creative play is still important to kids and they are engaging in role playing which helps build confidence,” he said.
The top 10 toys are as follows:
- Jiggly Pets Pink Pup (Character Options)
- The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse (book and film)
- Wooden Pizzeria (John Lewis)
- I’m a Stylist Styling Head Ella (I’m A Girly)
- JotBot – The Smart Drawing Robot (VTech)
- Le Mieux Pony (Le Mieux Products)
- Wooden Workbench (John Lewis)
- Lego Creator Expert 10293 Santa’s Visit (Lego)
- Play-Doh Ice Cream Cart (Hasbro)
- Hot Wheels Garage – exclusive bundle with 20-car pack (Mattel)