According to The NPD Group, licences represent a vital part of the toy industry and account for 26.4% of all toy sales (YTD 12 October 2013).
Frédérique Tutt, global toy industry analyst at The NPD Group, commented: “We have seen quite a few new licences coming into the toy market this year. NPD records growth in the Action Figures category and a resurgence of pre-school licences. Despite the lack of a strong movie blockbuster, film-related toy sales were nevertheless key to Summer sales with almost £10m worth of toy sales at retail since the beginning of the year for the three key kids’ movies: Iron Man, Monsters University and Planes.”
The toys in the category are (in alphabetical order):
- Angry Birds Go! Telepods Pig Rock Raceway, Hasbro
- Doc McStuffins Doctor’s Bag Set, GP Flair
- Monsters University Sulley Monster Mask, Spin Master Toys
- One Direction Dolls, Vivid
- Power Rangers Megaforce Deluxe Gosei Morpher, Bandai UK
- Star Wars Anakin to Vader Figure, Hasbro
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pop-Up Pizza Playset, GP Flair
- Transformers Beast Hunters Predaking, Hasbro
- Walking with Dinosaurs Gorgon Stomping Feet, Vivid
“Licensed toys will always have a significant role within the Dream Toys list as they are always highly popular. It’s great to see One Direction taking on Walking with Dinosaurs Stomping Feet, although I’m guessing they might be aimed at different audiences! The innovation and creativity within this sector is particularly strong this year and great to see,” commented Gary Grant, chairman of the Dream Toys committee.
If you would like to receive our daily newsflash email, please enter your email address in the “sign-up” box at the top of the page; you can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook and request a print subscription here.