NEWS

Poundland rejects Steinhoff offer amid Brexit worry

Published on: 28th June 2016

The company has rejected a cash offer from the South African retailer.

poundland480Steinhoff, which currently holds a 23% stake in Poundland, has been rejected by Poundland in a bid to buy out the remaining 77%.

The company noted Poundland’s poor results between March 2015 and April 2015, whilst Darren Shapland, Poundland chairman, described this year as “challenging”. Pre-tax profits fell by 83.7% to £5.9m, which includes the acquisition costs involved with purchasing competitor 99p Stores for £55m, and converting its new shops. The company now owns 600 stores, the vast majority of which are in the UK, and is currently worth around £500m.

Steinhoff pointed out the effect of “the recent movement in the share price of Poundland and the impact of the EU referendum on global markets”.

It is a possibility for Steinhoff to come at Poundland again with a higher offer before 13th July, when city takeover rules dictate it must give a firm offer or none at all. The much expected fall in Sterling also presents opportunities to take advantage of currency moves.

RECENT ARTICLES

Friday Blog

Plan ‘A’ all the way …it’s the Friday Blog!

Little Tikes launches Rescue Tales for autumn/winter

PoundToy launches ‘authentic’ new TV campaign

The Point.1888 appoints Hornby’s Aurélie Dilain-Waclawski

John Lewis retains cautious outlook despite greatly improved first half results

YouTube’s Vlad & Niki surpasses 200m subscribers worldwide

Spielwarenmesse Toy Business Forum to bolster ToyAcademy expertise

Bratz is back with special 20th anniversary dolls

Wild response to PlayMonster UK’s #FairiesForNature campaign

Disguise recruits pair to lead EMEA market growth