NEWS

Sainsbury’s and Mothercare Christmas results revealed

Published on: 8th January 2014

Results for the crucial Christmas trading period reveal Sainsbury’s has defied gloomy predictions and Mothercare hit shareholders with a profits warning.SainsMoth300

Sainsbury’s is claiming its “best Christmas ever” after reporting like-for-like sales growth of 0.2% for the last 14 weeks (minus fuel). Total sales for the third quarter were up 2.5% (2.7% excluding fuel). Like-for-like sales for third quarter were flat (0.2% excluding fuel), with 28m customer transactions in the seven day up to Christmas.

Over at Mothercare, the mother and baby retailer has warned that its profits will miss markets expectations. Like-for-like sales at Mothercare stores (stripping out the impact of its store closure programme) have dropped 4.0% in the last 12 weeks. Total UK sales have slumped almost 10%.

Simon Calver, Mothercare’s CEO, blamed “difficult” trading conditions in the UK, adding: “In the UK, our stores suffered similar Christmas trading pressures to those reported elsewhere. Customer service scores continue to improve year on year but weaker footfall and higher promotional activity led to lower sales and margins.”

If you would like to receive our daily newsflash email, please enter your email address in the “sign-up” box at the top of the page; you can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook and request a print subscription here.

RECENT ARTICLES

Welsh and Irish non-essential retailers to close under new Covid measures

Was Amazon Prime Day 2020 a disappointment?

Tomy acquires Fat Brain Toys

Raft of new licensing deals announced for Paw Patrol movie

Red Knight Toy Group launches Merchants of Fun in Belfast

New additions expand Thames & Kosmos’ best-selling ranges

Shore Buddies appoints Kids International Marketing

Fireman Sam launches Modern-Day Heroes Campaign

Craft Buddy expands European toy retailer network

Hamleys CEO

Hamleys set to cut over 25% of London staff