The awards ceremony was held at the American Museum of Natural History.
Hundreds of global toy executives and guests gathered in New York City on Friday to pay tribute to the toy industry’s best and brightest toys, games and individuals at the 16th Annual Toy of the Year (TOTY) Awards and Toy Industry Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Doc McStuffins Pet Vet Checkup Centre from Just Play took away the Toy of the Year award, whilst KidKraft’s Uptown Expresso Kitchen won the People’s Choice honour.
Hosted by the US Toy Industry Association (TIA) in support of the philanthropic work of the Toy Industry Foundation (TIF), the Oscars of the toy industry were held at the American Museum of Natural History, serving as the official kick off to the 113th North American International Toy Fair.
“From toys that can inspire kid’s careers choices, to ones that their boost creativity and confidence, the 2016 TOTY winners have provided children with countless hours of fun, challenges and learning – benefits that last a lifetime,” said Steve Pasierb, TIA president and CEO. “We congratulate Just Play, KidKraft and the winners across all 12 categories for their innovation and success in the marketplace – and for enhancing children’s experiences through play!”
Interspersed with the awards presentation was a special tribute to the Toy Industry Foundation, which contributed new toys to over 1 million children in 2015 alone. The event also marked the induction of Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of the Walt Disney Company, into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame.
The award-winners are as follows:
• Activity Toy of the Year was presented to Bunchems (Spin Master)
• Boy Toy of the Year was presented to Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens Millenium Falcon (The Lego Group)
• e-Connected Toy of the Year was presented to Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition (Disney)
• Educational Toy of the Year was presented to Vex Robotics Robotic Arm (Hexbug)
• Game of the Year was presented to Pie Face Game (Hasbro)
• Girl Toy of the Year was presented to Shopkins Scoops Ice Cream Truck (Moose Toys)
• Infant/Toddler Toy of the Year was presented to Bright Beats Dance & Move BeatBo (Fisher-Price)
• Innovative Toy of the Year was presented to Meccanoid G15 (Spin Master)
• Outdoor Toy of the Year was presented to Razor GFD Fury (Razor USA LLC)
• Pre-school Toy of the Year was presented to Doc McStuffins Pet Vet Checkup Center (Just Play)
• Property of the Year was presented to Star Wars (Disney/Lucasfilm Licensing)
• Specialty Toy of the Year was presented to Tumble Trax Magnetic Marble Run (Learning Resources)
• The overall Toy of the Year was presented to Doc McStuffins Pet Vet Checkup Center (Just Play)
• As voted exclusively by consumers, the People’s Choice Award was presented to The Uptown Espresso Kitchen (KidKraft)