NEWS

Walgreens to buy Alliance Boots

Published on: 7th August 2014

High street chemist Alliance Boots is to be bought up by US pharmacy giant Walgreens. boots-store300

The new combined company will be called Walgreens Boots Alliance. Walgreens bought a 45% stake in the company in 2012 and now wants to buy the remaining 55% stake. The board of Walgreens is seeking shareholder approval for the £9b deal to go through.

The firm said it would not use the deal to alter its current tax structure, and expects the merged company to be based in Chicago. Boots will remain at its UK headquarters in Nottingham. The pharmacy chain has 2,487 stores across the country, employing more than 60,000 people in the UK, including more than 6,500 pharmacists. The impact of the buy-out on jobs is not yet clear.

Walgreens has said it will look to make cost reductions of $1b over three years at “corporate, field and store-level” across all of its businesses. However, it will also invest “across core businesses at suitable returns to drive organic growth”.

Walgreens shares dropped 14% in value in early trading on Wednesday, before climbing slightly. Investors had expected the firm to move its headquarters abroad in order to cut its tax bill.

Walgreens’ chief executive Greg Wasson will become chief executive of the new company, and Stefano Pessina, who is currently executive chairman of Alliance Boots, will report to Mr Wasson.

If you would like to receive our daily newsflash email, click here; you can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook and request a print subscription here.

RECENT ARTICLES

Breaking News: Rubie’s close to finalising agreement to come out of Chapter 11

Bored? Games? – Festival of Licensing examines the crossover between licensing and board games

Rosie Marshall to head up plaY-room

Messe Frankfurt postpones early Q1 trade shows

Epoch launches Aquabeads TikTok campaign

MadeForMums unveils top 100 toys for Christmas

Barbie 60th anniversary campaign recognised at EMEA Purpose Awards

Posh Paws named as new plush licensee for Sesame Street

Hasbro Happy Hours programme announced for Festival of Licensing

Asmodee announces AsmoFair Part II