At Golden Bear Toys we really are Experts in Play. Playtime has been a key activity in our Telford-based office for over 40 years and we are proud to have created many amazing toys from some of the most iconic and historic brands such as Teletubbies, Thomas the Tank Engine, Noddy, Bagpuss, Sooty & Sweep to name but a few.
Fast forward to 2021 and we’re still developing innovative, creative and super-fun toys for those well-known children’s TV shows such as Hey Duggee, Bing and In the Night Garden, as well as exciting toys and games to suit all ages from dancing flamingos to your very own Escape Room in a box.
Golden Bear is a family business in all respects; with its original founders at the helm, it is also where different generations from the same families work alongside one another. Employing over 50 team members, we appreciate incredible staff loyalty, with almost half of our team having worked here for 10 years or more. Our team is our best asset and mirrors the quality of our toys.
As Senior Brand Manager, you will be the conduit between the other Brand Managers and the Head of Brand and Licensing. Whilst managing other Brand Managers is a key part of this role, you will also be responsible for brand strategy, marketing and managing the development of the product ranges and range plans, (including packaging) for your designated brands, and working in partnership with Product Managers, Graphics/Design, Sales team and Licensors to achieve this. It will involve setting the priorities and timelines with the Brand team. The Senior Brand Manager is responsible, in conjunction with the Brand team, for ensuring that any new products developed meet the consumer and customer needs in the UK market and Internationally, where appropriate.
- Plan, create, develop and implement exciting and effective brand plans for the brands in line with company objectives.
- Take financial (TLP and budget) ownership for your designated brands and products in the UK. In conjunction with the Commercial Manager be instrumental in setting customer prices that deliver margin targets and optimise sales. Work in collaboration with the Product Managers and Commercial Manager to deliver these costs. Control costs and marketing spend to stay within agreed budgets. Adjust spending where needed to optimise profit and deliver against the agreed targets.
- As an integral part of TLP planning, work in conjunction with the Sales team to make decisions on which product lines to carry forward each year, and which products to drop. Minimise any obsolescent costs by taking these decisions early.
- Monitor and prepare monthly and quarterly brand performance reports and brand business plan review meetings.
- Responsible for optimising the sell of your brands by assisting the Sales team in providing up to date presentations, sales sheets and the provision of excellent customer service.
- In conjunction with the Graphics & Design team and Product Managers, drive initial development of packaging designs that meet retailer needs, convey key marketing messages and meet commercial requirements.
- Responsible for developing innovative marketing plans for your brands including TVCs and digital marketing. These plans will need to be delivered with executional excellence. Work in collaboration with the Digital Marketing Executive and Digital Assets Co-ordinator to deliver best in class digital marketing assets.
- In conjunction with the Sales team & Commercial Manager, you will agree units’ sales forecasts for all products under your responsibility. You will need to monitor sell through at retail and in collaboration with the Sales team, adjust marketing plans to ensure the optimum retail sales.
- In conjunction with the designated Brand Team become an expert on the product categories (UK & international) that your brands compete in. Understand the competitors and their ingredients for success, assisting in future brand and product development.
- Have a deep understanding of our customers and markets and working in collaboration with HB&L, Head of PDC and Marketing, to deliver impactful brand plans in line with company channel strategy and defined brand strategies.
- Manage and contribute to the strategy direction of the brand, leading into the overarching strategic company direction and add value based on prior experience, market insights and feedback from the market.
- Build strong teamwork with colleagues across the business. Support each other, share best practice and both give and receive constructive feedback.
- Take responsibility for your personal growth. Develop a personal development plan with your Line Manager and solicit regular feedback on your performance as a leader and as a brand builder.
Management Responsibilities – 4 Direct Reports
You will have a proven track record of leading a successful and motivated team who consistently deliver against company KPIs. You will lead from the front with drive and enthusiasm providing clear direction, motivation and support and managing individual/team performance in accordance with agreed objectives. In conjunction with the Head of Brand & Licensing and HR, you will resource the team with the right skills at the right time and assist in the training and professional development of team members. You will prioritise performance management and regularly provide an open forum for timely, two-way constructive feedback.
- It is essential you have people management experience, ideally 3 years’ plus.
- It is preferable that you have worked within the Toy Industry for over 5 years.
- A collaborative approach to all tasks with all colleagues – a “one business” approach.
- Regular competitive research, being able to react to market requirements – new product innovation, pricing, promo’s and marketing campaigns.
- A generous remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
- The flexibility to be home-based dependent on location but must be available to work from Telford Head Office every other week (3 days).
- A 35-hour working week. We are also committed to providing a realistic balance between work and life our team enjoy the benefit of flexibility around their start and finish times to accommodate commuting, family life and their social lives.
To find out more about this exciting opportunity, please apply with an up-to-date CV and covering letter stating why you feel you are suitable for the role, also detailing your salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org