Details of the first keynote speech: Storyboard: The Best of British Animation have been revealed.
Industry experts will present two keynotes at this year’s event, with the first scheduled for 12pm on Wednesday 2nd October. The first keynote will spotlight the inspirational and aspirational creativity and success of some of the nation’s most prolific production studios with a panel of experts.
The panel includes:
- Michael Rose, joint managing director, Magic Light Pictures; Magic Light Pictures filmmaking includes animated adaptations of The Gruffalo, The Gruffalo’s Child, Room on the Broom, Stick Man, The Highway Rat, Zog and Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes.
- Mikael Shields, CEO, Acamar Films; Acamar Films’ pre-school show Bing was the number one children’s programme on BBC iPlayer in 2018, and is now broadcast in 117 territories, accompanied by consumer products, digital, live shows and experiences.
- Sean Clarke, executive director rights & brand development, Aardman Animations; Aardman Animations is a four times Academy Award winning animation studio creating film, broadcast, advertising and interactive entertainment, including Wallace & Gromit, Shaun the Sheep, Creature Comforts and Chicken Run.
- Oli Hyatt, managing director, Blue Zoo Animation; Blue Zoo Animation is one of the UK’s leading studios, winning BAFTAs for its trademark CG character animation. The studio has produced kids shows, including Numberblocks and Digby Dragon, captivating commercials and acclaimed shorts.
- Allison Watkins, director, global consumer products & TV distribution, Coolabi Group; Coolabi Group is a leading independent international media group. Brands owned include Clangers, Beast Quest, Poppy Cat, Purple Ronnie and the Smallfilms properties Bagpuss and Ivor the Engine.
BLE event director Anna Knight commented: “Britain’s animation studios produce world leading content and the people within them are some of the most talented across this country’s creative industries. British animation is a powerhouse of originality and its makers are masters of engaging viewers across the entire spectrum of emotions, from joyous belly laughter to uncontrollable sobbing, and everything in between. We are over the moon to have such well-respected experts joining us for Wednesday’s keynote panel.”
This keynote is one of 25 sessions scheduled for BLE’s License Global Theatre. Other highlighted topics include sustainability, publishing, animation, gaming, eSports, food and beverage, heritage, fashion, influencers, digitalisation, retail, Brexit and more.
BLE 2019 takes place at ExCeL London from 1-3 October 2019. Register for free here.