Spin Master’s global Make Your Move campaign will include innovative products, collaborations and the release of the first official Rubik’s Cube Casual Mobile Game.
Spin Master is launching a year-long campaign dedicated to the iconic toy during its 50th anniversary year. A symbol of problem solving, intelligence, creativity and perseverance, the Rubik’s Cube will be celebrated with a multifaceted, year-long marketing campaign themed Make Your Move, designed to inspire the next generation of problem solvers. The milestone year will include new launches and product collaborations, and the debut of an all-new mobile game Rubik’s Match.
“The Rubik’s Cube is an iconic puzzle that has permeated pop culture, captivating millions of curious minds for generations,” said Doug Wadleigh, Spin Master’s president of Toys. “As we celebrate this remarkable milestone, we will honour the Rubik’s Cube’s enduring global impact, inspiring new generations to explore the cube and encouraging past generations to rediscover it.”
One in every seven people in the world have played with the Rubik’s Cube, but most people fall short on completing the elusive solve. The Make Your Move campaign sets out to change that, focused on inspiring solvers.
“The Rubik’s Cube is a piece of art,” said Professor Ernő Rubik. “It comes to life when we attempt to discover our own solutions to the vast complexity of the challenge. It speaks to the universal values in human nature: curiosity, perseverance, and ingenuity. Recognising the Cube’s 50th anniversary is a celebration of these eternal values.”
Spin Master will also introduce new Rubik’s Cube products including:
- Rubik’s 50th Anniversary Retro Cube – Displayed in a replica of the 1980s issue packaging, this blast from the past is decorated with the original Rubik’s Logo and classic-coloured stickers.
- Rubik’s Sensory Cube – This unique 3×3 cube has a distinguishable tactile shape for each colour of the cube. Designed to be inclusive for the visually impaired community, even the packaging will include braille. This cube will be launched in partnership with the National Federation of the Blind in March 2024.
- Rubik’s Gridlock Board Game – A new challenge to test flexible thinking and problem-solving skills. With the blocks in place, the objective is to fit all of the pieces onto the board to solve each puzzle. (Launching March 2024)
- Rubik’s Connected X – Bridging together the physical and digital world of solving, the Connected X is a Bluetooth-enabled 3×3 cube. Cubers can learn and improve cubing skills through the app by tracking, recording and timing their solve. Connect with friends through the app to go head-to-head to see who is the faster cuber. (Launching June 2024)
- Rubik’s Cubers – Bringing favourite characters to the Rubik’s Cube, Rubik’s Cubers lets kids and kidults collect, solve and display puzzle characters including Batman, Ironman, Spider-Man and Black Panther. (Launching July 2024)
- Rubik’s 3×3 Speed Cube – Players can take their solving skills to the next level with the new 3×3 Speed Cube. Redesigned for competition use, the Speed Cube features stickerless panels, internal magnets for smooth movements, and adjustable tensions to create a customised cube experience. (Launching August 2024)
Limited-edition collaborations will also roll out throughout the year from pop culture giants such as Barbie, Stranger Things, Wednesday Addams and Hello Kitty, to famous names including Beatles Yellow Submarine, the Grateful Dead, Albert Einstein and Mr. Brainwash and notable brands including Levi’s, NBALab, U.S. Soccer, Mercedes Benz, Heelys, Tetris and G Fuel.
Later this year, Spin Master’s Digital Games creative centre will leverage the Rubik’s Cube IP, bringing it into the casual gaming space with the introduction of Rubik’s Match, a mobile game developed by Nørdlight Games, Spin Master’s Stockholm-based digital game studio.